Bucket hats aren’t just useful for sun protection; they also keep you safe from the elements, falling debris, and insects, among other things.
While they may not be the most stylish type of hat, they make up what they lack in fashion, and in our guide below, we will be highlighting the best bucket hats for men and women in a variety of styles.
What difference does the material make, and which hats are worth purchasing? Read on to find out the answers to the questions and explore some of the top best bucket hats on the market.
What’s the Difference Between Cotton and Polyester Bucket Hats?
Cotton hats dominate the bucket category, but you will see some 100% polyester hats or a mixture of the two. So what’s the difference?
- Cotton – If you will be in an area where there is dry heat, the bucket hat for the occasion is one made of 100% cotton. Since it is so absorbent, you should avoid cotton in wet, damp areas and be sure that you wash it before the first use because it may shrink a little!
- Polyester – Polyester is slightly more durable than cotton is, but it isn’t as breathable, and we wouldn’t recommend it for use in dry heat. Things will get awfully stuffy under the hat if you’re out in 90°F + temperatures, but if you get caught in the rain shower, you will stay dry as you dash for cover.
- Mix – Cotton/Polyester mixes are the best of both worlds since you get the superior UV protection and durability of the polyester along with a bit more breathability thanks to the cotton. You will find this type of hat best in cool areas but not in hot, dry climates.
All bucket hats are equipped with ventilation holes in the top, so regardless of the material, there will be a little airflow under them.
As you compare hats to determine which is the right material and style for your needs, consider the brim style to make sure you get the right one for the occasion.
- Rigid or Floppy – Some hats have stiffer, more rigid brims than others do since, meaning that they stick out straight. Others, such as the Mission Cooling Bucket Hat, are looser and floppier, which means that they slump down a bit around the ears, back of the head, and in front of the eyes. Neither one is better than the other is, but a floppy brim can get in your line of sight and might not be the best choice for activities such as hunting or paintballing. However, they provide more shade, so if you’re out in the garden and looking down as you work, a wide, floppy brim is great.
- Wide or Narrow – Check out the brim width, as well. Wider brims offer better sun protection but might slightly block your view. Narrow brims offer less shade, but you can see more easily. Be sure to weigh out your options before deciding which is the best bucket hat for your activities!
Features of a Good Bucket Hat
- Materials – Most Bucket hats will consist of 1005 cotton although there are cotton and polyester blends, and polyester hats.
- Colors and Washes – Bucket Hats come in various solid colors and washes, and I have also seen some printed and tye-dye options available.
- Brim Size – The hat’s brim can be anything between two and four inches in most bucket hat models.
- Other Features – Many Bucket hats come with metal holes at the sides for better ventilation, and some may even have an interior sweatband.
Reviews: Best Bucket Hats
These are some of our top favorites when it comes to Bucket style hats;
- From Hat Depot, we have a 100% cotton Buket style hat.
- The hat is premium quality and comes in mostly solid color options.
- This is a Unisex design that will work well for men and women alike.
- There are also the different sizes and color options you can select.
- If you need an appropriate hat for damp, cooler climates but also offers superb sun protection, consider the Coolibar Reversible Bucket Hat.
- This smart-looking hat is fully reversible, and each side offers you UPF50+ protection. The brim is a generous 3 inches wide, and it has an elastic drawstring on the back so you can adjust it to fit your head. They also offer it in three different sizes, including Small/Medium, Large/Extra Large, and XXL.
- Keep in mind that they recommend hand washing this hat, so if you want it to last, avoid throwing it in the washing machine.
- Unlike the Coolibar, Quicksilver had has a chin strap that will keep your hat from flying off your head if the wind picks up. Are you headed out on a fishing boat or going on rides at the theme park? A hat like this would come in handy!
- Since it is made of cotton, we recommend it for hot, dry climates. It will soak up water like a sponge and won’t keep you dry in light rain, but it sure does an excellent job of keeping your head cool when the temperature rises.
- Quicksilver recommends this hat for men simply due to the sizing. Anyone can wear it (as long as it fits), and it is available in four other colors if you don’t want the white one (which will show dirt and sweat stains quickly).
- The Chok-Lids cotton Bucket summer hat is ideal for outdoors and beachwear.
- This bucket hat consists of a breathable and high;y durable cotton fabric.
- It has one size fits most closure and a versatile and stylish appeal.
- There are also quite a few color options from which you can choose.
- The ventilated metal eyelets allow for better ventilation and cooling in the bucket hat’s sides.
- The Hat Depot washed cotton range comes in many color and tye dye color options.
- I love that this specific model comes in so many colors, washes, and even fun tye-dye wash options.
- It consists of pure cotton that is durable and breathable to keep you cool.
- The hat is of premium quality and has a very fashionable appeal.
- You can select between small, medium, large, and extra-large size options as far as sizes go.
- One of the main differences you will notice between this bucket hat and the other two we just discussed is the brim size and angle.
- While it may be more narrow, they angled it downward to offer better sun protection of the face and eyes.
- It’s a basic hat of average quality. There is no chin strap, and the top doesn’t have a drawstring that you can adjust, so make sure you order the right size.
- It comes in Small/Medium, Large/Extra Large, XXL, and 3X.
- If the colors are a bit too drab for you, but you do like the hat style, then you can check out numbers 4 or 5 on the list!
- The DS Men’s Bucket hat is ideal for fishing and for summer wear.
- It consists of 100% pure cotton that is light and breathable.
- You can select from a few color options in the DS men’s Bucket Hat.
- The Hat is light and ideal for summertime as it will keep you cool.
- The Newhattan is a shorter brim summer bucket style hat for men and women.
- The hat consist of soft and breathable cotton.
- There is a wide variety of color options available for men and women and size options in this specific model.
- The Brim is only two inches, and there are an inner sweatband and two eyelets for better ventilation.
- The American Cities Bucket Hat is one size fits most style and size options.
- The hat is adjustable to fit most small or medium-sized heads.
- It is an excellent quality hat that is ideal for the outdoors.
- What is more, there is such a large variety of colors to choose from.
The Decky polo hat is a fashionable and decorated bucket-style hat for all occasions.
The hat comes in a few neutral colors from which you can select, all with the Decky Logo on the side.
It consists of pure cotton that is lightweight and breathable, and very durable.
The fit comes in a small/medium and Large/Extra Large option.
- The hat is 100% soft and durable polyester.
- It features UA storm technology that repels water yet stays breathable.
- The design is reversible, and there is a shorter brim for a more comfortable fit.
- You can also fully machine wash this hat.
Index Table: Top Rated Bucket Hats
|1||The Hat Depo Unisex 300N - Hat with a Bucket Style||The Hat Depo||99.1|
|2||Coolibar Unisex Reversible - Bucket Style Hat||Coolibar||98.4|
|3||Quicksilver Unisex Bushmaster - Bucket Hat||Quicksilver||98|
|4||Chok.Lids Unisex Cotton - Best Bucket Hat||Chok.Lids||96.3|
|5||The Hat Depot Unisex Coolest Bucket Hats - Cotton Bucket Hat||The Hat Depot||96.8|
|6||Dorfman Unisex Pacific - Bucket Style Hat||Dorfman||96.8|
|7||DS Men's Cotton - Bucket Hat||DS||97.4|
|8||Newhattan Unisex Shortbrim - Bucket Style Hat||Newhattan||96.8|
|9||American Cities Fashion Unisex Cotton - Bucket Hat||American Cities Fashion||97.3|
|10||Decky Unisex Polo - Hat with a Bucket Style||Decky||97|
|11||Under Armour Men's Switchback 2.0 - Best Bucket Hats for Men||Under Armour||97.6|
Table of Contents
- What’s the Difference Between Cotton and Polyester Bucket Hats?
- Brim Style
- Features of a Good Bucket Hat
- Reviews: Best Bucket Hats
- The Hat Depo® Unisex 300N Hat with a Bucket Style
- Coolibar® Unisex Reversible Bucket Style Hat
- Quicksilver® Unisex Bushmaster Bucket Hat
- Chok.Lids® Unisex Cotton Best Bucket Hat
- The Hat Depot® Unisex Coolest Bucket Hats Cotton Bucket Hat
- Dorfman® Unisex Pacific Bucket Style Hat
- DS® Men's Cotton Bucket Hat
- Newhattan® Unisex Shortbrim Bucket Style Hat
- American Cities Fashion® Unisex Cotton Bucket Hat
- Decky® Unisex Polo Hat with a Bucket Style
- Under Armour® Men's Switchback 2.0 Best Bucket Hats for Men
- Index Table: Top Rated Bucket Hats