10 Best Long Underwear 2017
The icicles are hanging from the rooftops, from your car and even from your beard! It’s cold outside, and keeping your body temperature at a comfortable level can be quite difficult.
What to do? Apart from some cold weather clothing and accessories, we suggest that you dig a bit deeper and think twice about the underwear you’ve chosen.
Below, we highlight the best long underwear for both men and women and help you choose the right one for your needs.
By arming your body with the proper base layer, you can help trap in the heat and block out the cold without piling on the thick, bulky jackets and numerous sweaters.
Surprisingly comfortable and effective, long underwear are lightweight and help keep you warm and dry when the temperatures drop outside.
Take This into Consideration
Before you select a pair of long underwear, consider the following:
- Tops, Bottoms, Set or Suit. Often times long underwear are associated with the bottoms only, but depending on where you’re going to need them and how cold it is, you might need just the top, just the bottoms, both or even a single-piece suit.
If you’re getting the underwear to sleep in (like pajamas) then they should be loose fitting. If you plan to wear them as a base layer under other outdoor clothing, then they should fit snuggly yet comfortably.
- How Cold? If you’re headed outdoors, you need to determine the weight of the fabric: lightweight, mid-weight or heavyweight.
Lightweight for mild temperatures, mid-weight for moderate cold and heavyweight fabric for those frigid, Arctic temperatures that chill you to the bone.
If you are stationary outside and won’t be moving around much, you should probably choose something heavier even if the temperature isn’t frigid.
If you are walking, running or working outdoors, then you can probably get away with a lightweight to mid-weight fabric because your movement will help keep your body temperature higher.
Top 10 Long Underwear Comparison Chart
|Picture||Name||Perfect For||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|Picture||Name||Perfect For||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Carhartt Men's Base Force Wicking Cotton Super Cold Weather Legging||Men||$$$$||4.6|
|2. Noble Mount Men's Extreme Cold Waffle Knit Thermal Top and Bottom Set||Men||$$||4.6|
|3. Duofold Men's Mid-Weight Wicking Thermal Pant||Men||$||4.5|
|4. Comfort Fit® Men's Microfiber Fleece Lined Thermal Top & Bottom Underwear Set||Men||$||4.4|
|5. Men's Ultra Soft Thermal Underwear Long Johns Set with Fleece Lined||Men||$||4.4|
|6. Terramar Women's Thermasilk Pant||Women||$$||4.3|
|7. Cuddl Duds Women's Winter Thermal Long underwear base layering set||Women||$$$||4.3|
|8. Hanes Men's X-Temp Thermal Pant||Men||$$||4.2|
|9. Fruit of the Loom Women's Thermal Underwear Bottom||Women||$||4.1|
|10. Women's Thermal Underwear Set Top & Bottom Fleece Lined||Women||$$||4.0|
The underwear above are made of three main types of materials:
- Cotton. While number 1 above is 100% cotton, the many of the other long underwear are a cotton/polyester mix. Cotton is great for those with sensitive skin or allergies (100% cotton to be precise), but for certain outdoor activities it may not be the right choice since it doesn’t keep you insulated when it gets wet.
Cotton is best for underwear that you plan to sleep in.
- Silk. As used in number 6 on our list, silk is a thin material that can be used as a base layer for moderately cold weather conditions. It won’t add bulk under your clothing, which means that you’ll be able to move around more easily, so if you participate in any winter sports you might try some long silk underwear to keep you warm.
- Fleece Lining. For a bit of thermal insulation, you might want some long underwear with a fleece lining. This can add bulk, so if you already have some snow pants or a large coat on, you might want to save the fleece underwear for the end of your day!
Top 3 Best Long Underwear Reviews
While we do highlight three favorite men’s long underwear below, remember that the same brand usually makes a women’s version, as well. If you like the quality and fit of the three men’s underwear below be sure to check out the women’s version, as well!
The Carhartt brand knows how to protect you against the elements, and it’s hard to beat their Cold Weather Leggings.
These 100% cotton leggings are a staple item for the outdoorsman. Whether you’re out working hard at a construction site, hunting in the backwoods, tending to farm chores or just raking some leaves in the garden, these leggings are comfortable to wear and keep you warm.
Buy a pair and you won’t need to replace them next season like you would with many other cheaper brand names. These are some of the best long underwear on the market!
Next we have the Noble Mount Extreme Cold Thermal Underwear Set, which is perfect if you want to keep your top half as warm as your bottom half!
The fabric is a mix of cotton and polyester that is then woven into a typical waffle knit pattern. They have knitted ribbing on the wrist and ankle cuffs, which will prevent any drafts of cold air whisking toward your skin.
Since you get both the top and the bottoms, you really can’t beat the price at this level of quality. There are six colors to choose from so be sure to check them all out!
For standard, everyday activities, you might do well with a pair of the Duofold Mid-Weight Thermal pants.
They feature flat-locked seams so you won’t experience any chafing as you move and the knit helps trap air between the two layers of fabric, creating a thermal layer that traps in the heat and blocks out the cold.
They also wick moisture away from your skin to keep you dry throughout the day.
No annoying tag to scratch and irritate you. These are tag-free and very comfortable to wear!