Now that your short, lightweight summer socks have gone into hibernation, you open the winter wardrobe drawer and discover that…the best cold weather socks that you’ve ever owned are full of holes – courtesy of the moths and bugs that got a little hungry.
Since you’re now looking for a few new pairs, our guide will help you. We highlight the best winter socks to help keep your tootsies warm even in the coldest temps.
How to Choose
Not sure which type of sock you need? Here are a few things to take into consideration as you choose:
- Your Activities – If you’re hiking, hunting, fishing, working, or doing anything outdoors in the winter, then plan on a bulky, well-padded sock made from wool. Check out numbers 3-6 below. You don’t want to limit your movements with something bulky for outdoor winter sports, but you’ll need something for moisture control. Plan on socks made of a mixture of materials, such as wool, nylon, and/or Spandex.
- Height – Think about how high up the calf it goes. Do you need something that extends just a few inches past your boot or up to just below the knee?
- Temperature. Socks designed for 32° Fahrenheit isn’t the same as -30° below Fahrenheit, so make sure you check the tag to see the temperature protection. If you get socks that are too hot, you’ll end up sweating too much.
Whatever you do, avoid cotton at all costs. You’ll end up with a soggy mess in your shoe and wet feet, so no cotton!
There is a lot more to choosing the best winter socks that you may have initially thought, which is why we’ve researched for you!
Here are a few tips to help you:
- A Liner – Wet or damp feet are more prone to frostbite, so to keep them dry, you might consider a sock liner. These will wick away moisture and provide extra insulation. Great for those of you who sweat a lot or if you know you’ll be working up a sweat throughout the day.
- Extra Socks – Anyone who hunts, fishes, hikes, or participates in outdoor sports knows that it’s great to have an extra pair or two in the bag.
- We also suggest a lighter pair (or two) for the “in-between” times (i.e., in the ski resort, driving with your regular shoes, etc.)
- Material – Merino wool is the most common choice for winter socks, but there are also plenty of hybrid socks made from a mixture of materials.
- If you’re allergic to wool or it irritates your skin, look for socks made of synthetic materials or use a liner to help prevent it from contacting your skin.
- Check the Wear Spots – Make sure the socks are reinforced in areas where they’ll take the most wear and tear: heels, soles, and big toe.
Features of a Good Winter Sock
- Materials – Merino wool, cotton, and polyester or acrylic wools are all ideal fabric for winter socks. Winter socks may be lined with fleece or have a heavier eight knit to provide better insulation and warmth.
- Design – Winter socks come in many designs and lengths. They usually have a thicker knit and more warm materials. Some designed have infrared heating systems which can be set.
- Options – Socks come in a variety of colors, patterns, prints and designs, depending on the brand. You may also be able to select from a few size options for men and women.
Reviews: Best Winter Socks
Looking for the warmest and most comfortable winter socks, well then follow our list of the best available socks for winter this year;
The Sun Will socks come with a heating element to keep your feet warm and cozy.
- They consist of cotton, polyester, and elastane materials for stretch.
- There is a heating element in the instep and toe area using infrared technology to heat your toes and feet.
- The temperatures can be set on high, medium, or low, and the batteries are rechargeable.
- The socks are ideal for outdoors and indoors, as well as for sports and activities.
The Fleece Lined UGG socks offer excellent warmth and comfort.
- They consist mainly of acrylic, polyester, and spandex for stretch.
- The socks are fully machine washable and have pom om detailing as decoration.
- They are available in more colors for your perusal.
- They come gift ready packaged with a tag and a bow.
The Yoicy wool socks have an extra thick and warm design for those cold winter days.
- They consist of wool, cotton, and spandex for stretch.
- The extra thick knit provides excellent warmth and comfort.
- They are heavyweight insulated sock that is also quite durable.
- You can also choose from more available color choices.
From Unique Styles Asfoor, we have warm thermal socks for ladies in a crew cut design.
- The socks consist of mainly acrylic, polyester and spandex materials.
- They ate a fuzzy winter design for cold winters.
- The socks offer full insulation and protection against cold.
- You can also choose from more available colors in this range.
Merino Wool socks are an excellent choice for a warm winter sock, such as the EnerWear socks.
- They consist of mainly Merino wool, with some polyester, nylon, and spandex for stretch.
- The socks offer excellent warmth and insulation while retaining breathability.
- The package contains four pairs of socks in multiple color variations.
- You can also choose the set that you like best.
The Heat-trapping socks from DG Hill are sure to keep your feet warm this winter.
- You get two pairs of socks for each purpose, and there are more colors available.
- The socks are designed for extremely cold temperatures and outdoor use.
- They are softer than wool and will not itch irritate your skin.
- The socks also have moisture-wicking capabilities, so your feet do not become sweaty.
The Alvada Merino Socks have a thermal design to keep your feet warm and cozy.
- These socks are mostly Merino wool with Polyester, Nylon, and spandex.
- They offer excellent warmth and comfort.
- The knit and design is itch-free and soft against your skin.
- They will cushion your feet underneath to absorb impact and provide and comfortable fit.
- Easy to care for and machine washable.
The Loritta Store socks are designed for extreme cold weather ad very low temperatures.
- These are thermal design socks for very cold weather,
- They consist of Acrylic wool, polyester, and spandex for an ultra-soft and warm feel.
- The socks are seven times warmer than regular cotton socks and are ideal for outdoor wear.
- They are also suitable for hiking, sports, cycling, golf, and tennis.
The Bymore Thermal socks for men will keep you warm and comfortable this winter.
- The socks are heated with thermal technology and double lined.
- The materials are moisture-wicking and soft against your skin.
- These socks are ideal for extremely cold weather conditions, as well as outdoor wear.
- They come in three color options for your choice.
The Cozia Merino Wool socks are warm and durable, boot length socks for men.
- Here we have another excellent choice of warm wool socks.
- The socks consist of Merino Wool, polyester, Nylon, and Spandex for stretch.
- Merino wool keeps you warm while still breathing well.
- Merino wool is also moisture-wicking and temperature wicking, so your feet will have the perfect environment.
- The socks come in a few size options as well as two color options.
Index Table: Top Rated Winter Socks
|1||The Sun Will Unisex Foot Warmer Socks - Thermal Warm Socks||The Sun Will||99.3|
|2||UGG Unisex Crew Length Socks - Best Winter Socks||UGG||99.2|
|3||Yoicy Men's Thick Wool Socks - Thick Winter Socks||Yoicy||99|
|4||UNIQUE STYLES ASFOOR Women's Heated Winter Socks - Insulated Socks||UNIQUE STYLES ASFOOR||98.8|
|5||EnerWear Women's Hiking Socks Women's - Merino Wool Socks Hiking||EnerWear||98.7|
|6||DG Hill Men's heat Trapping - Winter Socks||DG Hill||97.5|
|7||Alvada Unisex Merino Wool - Warm Winter Sock||Alvada||97.5|
|8||Loritta Store Men's Thermal - Winter Sock||Loritta Store||97.6|
|9||Bymore Men's Thermal - Heated Winter Sock||Bymore||97.1|
|10||Cozia Men's Merino Wool - Winter Sock||Cozia||97.5|
Table of Contents
- How to Choose
- Useful Tips
- Features of a Good Winter Sock
- Reviews: Best Winter Socks
- The Sun Will® Unisex Foot Warmer Socks Thermal Warm Socks
- UGG® Unisex Crew Length Socks Best Winter Socks
- Yoicy® Men's Thick Wool Socks Thick Winter Socks
- UNIQUE STYLES ASFOOR® Women's Heated Winter Socks Insulated Socks
- EnerWear® Women's Hiking Socks Women's Merino Wool Socks Hiking
- DG Hill® Men's heat Trapping Winter Socks
- Alvada® Unisex Merino Wool Warm Winter Sock
- Loritta Store® Men's Thermal Winter Sock
- Bymore® Men's Thermal Heated Winter Sock
- Cozia® Men's Merino Wool Winter Sock
- Index Table: Top Rated Winter Socks