10 Best Men’s Dress Shirts 2017
If you are an office warrior or just like to look dapper during your free time, then finding the best men’s dress shirts to suit your needs, and your physique, is critical. Great fitting, functional, and flattering dress shirts enhance your appearance and add versatility to the rest of your closet.
We understand that searching for the perfect dress shirt is daunting – there are enough options to make anyone’s head spin. Luckily, we did the research for you and put together this guide to the best styles on the market. Your new wardrobe essentials are just a few clicks away.
Things to Consider
- Fit. It’s important to find a shirt that fits your proportions and flatters your silhouette, whether you have a thin, athletic, or larger build. Two popular fit styles are:
- Slim Fit. Cut to hug the body: not skin tight, but you can see the outlines of the torso. Great option for thin and trim physiques.
- Regular Fit. Cut more forgivingly. Better for larger physiques.
- Fabric and Finish. Think about how much time and money you are willing to spend laundering your shirts. It may be worthwhile to purchase wrinkle and/or stain resistant shirts. Sweat a lot? Shirts fabricated from 100% cotton are breathable and durable, standing up to many washes.
- Formality. If you’re looking for a traditional dress shirt that can be worn in more formal settings, stick to pale solid colors and simple patterns such as pinstripes or checks. You can never go wrong with classic white, which is also the most versatile option for styling. Pale blue complements all skin tones.
If you want a more casual look, choose a style with short sleeves, or go for a bright color or bolder pattern than the more conservative standbys.
Top 10 Men’s Dress Shirts Comparison Chart
|Picture||Name||Best For||Fabric||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|Picture||Name||Best For||Fabric||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Van Heusen Men's Poplin Regular Fit Solid Point Collar Dress Shirt||Those seeking the perfect classic white shirt||65% Polyester, 35% Cotton||$$$||4.5|
|2. Van Heusen Men's Pinpoint Regular Fit Stripe Button Down Collar Dress Shirt||Adding stripes to your collection||65% Polyester, 35% Cotton||$$||4.5|
|3. Izod Men's Twill Regular Fit Solid Button Down Collar Dress Shirt||Cold weather climates and comfort||55% Cotton, 45% Polyester||$$$$||4.4|
|4. Eagle Men's Non Iron Regular Fit Solid Button Down Collar Dress Shirt||Low maintenance laundering, breathability||100% Cotton||$$$$||4.4|
|5. 8970 UltraClub Long Sleeve Oxford Dress Shirt||Blue and grey hues that flatter all skin tones||60% Cotton, 40% Polyester||$$||4.4|
|6. Port Authority Men's Long Sleeve Easy Care Shirt||Huge range of colors and sizes||55% Cotton, 45% Polyester||$$||4.3|
|7. IZOD Men's Long-Sleeve Essential Solid Shirt||Breathability and long-lasting wear||100% Cotton||$$$$||4.3|
|8. Harriton Men's Long-sleeve Twill Shirt with Stain-release||Stain repelling for low maintenance laundering||55% Cotton, 45% Polyester||$||4.3|
|9. Port Authority Men's Short Sleeve Easy Care Shirt||Those wanting the great fit of a dress shirt with a casual flare||55% Cotton, 45% Polyester||$$||4.3|
|10. Tommy Hilfiger Men's Slim Fit Poplin Shirt||Those who prefer a spread collar||100% Cotton||$||4.2|
The best men’s dress shirts come with a variety of additional features that are worth assessing. Read on to determine which options are the best match for you.
While collars may seem like an afterthought to most, there are subtle differences that could make one style a clear match for your face shape and styling preferences. Three popular collar styles are:
- Point. This style is the most common. It slims a wide face because the points of the collar are angled close together and therefore draw the eye downward. The collar can be worn with or without a tie.
- Spread. This style features a wider distance between the points of the collar, which balances a thin face by drawing the eye outward. This collar reveals more of the shirt below the throat and highlights a well-knotted tie.
- Button Down. Buttonholes at the tips of the collar allow it to be affixed to the body of the shirt. This style is great for those who want to go tieless while still looking neat and tidy.
Type of Weave
While not usually something most shoppers stop to think about, if you live in a particularly hot, cool, or fluctuating climate, choosing an appropriate fabric weave can help you stay comfortable. Here is a simple breakdown:
- Poplin. Poplin shirt fabric features a lightweight weave, making it comfortable to wear and a good choice for warmer climates.
- Twill. This is a weightier weave, making it warmer and therefore ideal for colder climates. The heavier fabric also makes it easier to iron.
- Pinpoint. This is a mid-weight weave, in between the warmth of poplin and twill, making it great for Spring and Autumn.
- Oxford. This weave also falls in the range between poplin and twill.
Color and Print
The best dress shirts for men typically come in a variety of hues. Once you find a style that fits you well, you can choose an array of colors that complement your suits, ties, and accessories. Here are some pointers:
- In general, solids are great for highlighting a fantastic fit. They are also a canvas for showing off the rest of your outfit, from an elegant suit to an interesting tie. Stripes add visual interest to a plain suit and look great layered under a jacket or sweater.
- White is the most classic color. It’s a great starting point for any dress shirt collection, as it’s acceptable in both casual and formal settings, and the styling combinations are endless. Pale blue favors all complexions, as does pale pink, (except for very pale skin tones).
How to Choose the Right Size
Many dress shirts are sized according to a pair of numbers, which correspond with the circumference of the neck and length of the sleeve.
Here is a quick way to determine your measurements:
- Measure the Circumference of Your Neck. Take a fabric tape measure and wrap it around the low part of your neck, just above your shoulders and collarbone. Add ¼ inch to the measurement to account for room to breathe, and then round up to the nearest ½ inch.
- Measure the Length of Your Sleeve. Keep your arm at your side. Place the tape measure where your neck joins your shoulder. Run it over the outside of your shoulder and your arm, all the way down to the wrist. Round this number to the nearest 1 inch.
Confirming a Good Fit
Once your dress shirt arrives, try it on to ensure a good fit. Check to confirm that most of the following factors are satisfied:
- Shoulders. The seam where the arms are joined to the body of the shirt should sit anywhere between the top and the outside corner of your shoulder bones. If the seam hits further down your arm, the shirt is likely too big.
- Chest. When you pull the shirt away from your chest, there should not be more than 4 inches of loose material. Anything more than that will look unflattering. If the material is stretched between the buttons while you are standing upright, then the shirt is cut too snug for you.
- Neck. With the top button closed, try inserting a few fingers between your neck and the collar – if they fit snugly, then you have a good fit with room to breathe comfortably. (If you don’t plan on buttoning all the way up, you don’t need to ensure a perfect fit in the collar).
- Arms. The sleeves should follow the shape of your arm, tapering off towards the wrist. When you have your arms by your sides, you shouldn’t have fabric bunching at the cuff – you don’t want the sleeves to be baggy. Also check that you can raise your arms above your head without pulling the sleeve down towards your elbow.
- Cuffs. The cuffs should extend past your wrist bone and stop at the bottom of your palm. They should be tight enough that you need to unbutton them in order to take the shirt off.
- Waist. The shirt should stay tucked into your trousers when you raise your arms above your head.
Top 3 Best Men’s Dress Shirts Reviews
It’s no surprise that Van Heusen tops the charts in terms of the best men’s dress shirts. The brand has been a major player in the gentleman’s clothing industry for decades. The Poplin Regular Fit Solid Point Collar Dress Shirt in White is a surefire choice for those searching for the perfect foundation piece for their wardrobe. The shirt is designed with classic elements that will always be in style, such as lightweight, comfortable poplin fabric, a point collar, front pocket, and button cuffs. You can dress it up or down, and wear it alone or layered under a crisp suit or comfortable sweater.
Van Heusen is well known for offering a dependable fit, and this style is no exception. Once you know your neck and sleeve measurements, you can feel confident that the shirt runs true to size. This style is also proven to be both durable and easy to maintain. It holds up well whether it is washed in a machine at home or professionally pressed.
Thanks to its trustworthy fit, classic details, and tremendous styling flexibility, this white dress shirt is a must have piece for every man’s closet. To boot, it’s available for a reasonable price, making this style our top pick.
For those that already have enough well-fitting, classic white shirts in their wardrobe, Van Heusen offers another versatile style that can be worn in both casual and formal settings. As with the option above, this style is known for its fantastic fit and ease of care.
The pinpoint weave is slightly heavier, and therefore warmer, than the poplin fabric in the style above; it’s a perfect choice for Spring and Autumn weather. The blue and white vertical stripes are flattering to all skin types and add visual interest while remaining understated enough for conservative business meetings – pair this shirt with a navy suit for instant impact. Ditching the suit and tie? The button down collar will keep everything in place so you can look relaxed, yet still put together.
This style is an instant classic and is great value for the price. Adding it to your arsenal is an easy way to spruce up your plain suits and add depth to your layered looks.
Another fantastic option is the Twill Regular Fit Solid Button Down Collar Dress Shirt from IZOD, a well known brand known for its great price value. This style has a twill weave, making it the warmest of the three styles detailed here. The twill weave also gives the shirt a nice weight, making for a comfortable fit, resistance to wrinkles, and a sturdiness which enhances its durability.
IZOD offers this style in a rainbow of 16 colors, ranging from traditional white, cornflower blue and pale pink, to darker jewel tones and bright hues. Another fantastic element is its button down collar, meaning you can wear it with or without a tie, alone or neatly layered under a jacket or sweater.
This style has an excellent cut and is well tapered throughout the torso and sleeves. It runs true to size, so you have no reason to hesitate once you know your measurements.
The high quality fabric and construction of this shirt make it a great deal. Go ahead and snap up an array of colors to add endless possibilities to your closet.